Aging Isn't Your Destiny. It's Your Diagnosis.
A patient asked me last month why her knees hurt. She's 58. Before I could say anything, she answered her own question. "I know, I know. I'm just getting old."
I hear some version of that sentence probably ten times a week, and after thirty-five years in practice it still bugs me. Not because it's rude to knees. Because it ends the conversation. "I'm just getting old" is a door closing. It assumes aging is something that happens to you, like weather, and your only job is to stand there and take it.
I want to talk you out of that.
The way I've come to think about it, and the way a growing chunk of the medical literature thinks about it, is that aging behaves a lot less like fate and a lot more like a chronic condition. Which sounds depressing at first. Who wants another diagnosis? But stay with me, because chronic conditions come with something fate doesn't: a treatment plan.
We've done this before
Consider blood pressure. For most of the twentieth century, doctors called it "essential hypertension." The word essential was there because they genuinely believed rising pressure was necessary to push blood through old, stiffening arteries. FDR's physicians watched his numbers climb into stroke territory and basically recommended massages. He died at 63, and the general medical response was a shrug, because that was aging.
Then we learned to measure it properly, understood the mechanism, developed treatments, and now a blood pressure of 180 gets you a prescription, not a eulogy. Nobody calls hypertension destiny anymore.
Aging is somewhere in the middle of that same transition. We can measure biological age now, and it frequently disagrees with your driver's license, sometimes by a decade in either direction. The research on twins suggests genetics accounts for maybe a quarter of how you age. The rest is lifestyle, environment, and choices, which is another way of saying the rest is negotiable. The big drivers have names: chronic inflammation, insulin resistance, muscle loss, hormonal decline. And every one of them can be pushed back
.
So what does "managing" it look like?
Less exotic than you'd hope, honestly. If you were expecting cryotherapy chambers and $400 supplement stacks, I have disappointing news. The interventions with actual evidence behind them would mostly be recognizable to your grandmother, though she didn't have the data to know why they worked.
Lift heavy things. Muscle mass after 50 predicts independence, fracture risk, metabolic health, and mortality, and it doesn't maintain itself. Eat enough protein to support the lifting, which is more than most women I see are eating. Guard your sleep like it's a controlled substance. Work on cardiovascular fitness, because VO2 max turns out to be one of the strongest predictors of longevity we can measure, better than cholesterol, better than most of what shows up on a standard lab panel.
And for women in midlife, have a real conversation about hormone therapy with someone who has actually read the literature from the last twenty years, not the headlines from 2002. We frightened a whole generation of women away from an effective tool based on a study that was badly reported, and we're still cleaning up the mess. I could go on. My staff will confirm that I do.
None of this is thrilling. Managing a chronic condition never is. It's the medical equivalent of flossing. But boring and consistent beats dramatic and occasional every single time.
What I'm not promising
Let me be straight with you, because this field attracts a lot of snake oil. Manageable doesn't mean curable. You will age. I will age, despite my best efforts and an ongoing marathon habit that my orthopedist finds amusing. The clock does not stop.
But there's a difference between lifespan and healthspan, between years alive and years you'd actually want. Most of the misery we associate with getting old lives in the gap between those two numbers. That gap can shrink. I watch patients shrink it all the time. They're not lucky, and they don't have special genes. They just stopped treating aging as a verdict and started treating it as a condition, one they measure, adjust for, and show up to manage.
Which brings me back to my patient with the knees. We didn't leave it at "just getting old." We found weak quads, a vitamin D level in the basement, and a woman who hadn't done resistance training since the Clinton administration. All fixable. All being fixed.
Your knees, whatever they're telling you, are not delivering a verdict. They're presenting symptoms. There's a difference, and the difference is where all the hope lives.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment