Running Log

I did my last long run in preparation for Las Vegas Sunday. It was a 20 miler and I actually felt decent. I did most of it at a 9 1/2min pace but slowed at the end. There were a few hills, not bad, but since there are actually some inclines in the race I figured I needed some training on them. I am a bit sore this AM but can now focus on proper nutrition and tapering. I listened to an interesting podcast yesterday that stressed the importance of eating some protein and fat along with your cards the morning of the race. Physiologically it makes sense. It helps to regulate digestion and keeps the blood sugar from shooting way up after a predominately carb meal. I think I will have a bagel (carbs) with some peanut butter and honey (fat and protein and some more carbs) before the race. That seems to fit the bill and I will see if it makes a difference. I am also entertaining the idea of doing the Galloway walk/run technique. For those unfamiliar with this, he teaches to doa 30 sec-1 min walk after running about 5-7 minutes. The idea is that your legs recover faster and you are not as fatigued in the last 6 miles. I have seen that is where my times suffer the most. I can keep a 9.5 to 10 pace most of the race , but the last 3-4 miles really slows and kills my times. Maybe this will allow me to stay on pace for those miles. I'll let you know. For more on the Galloway method go to www.jeffgalloway.com . Run long!

0 Comments: