Country Music Marathon




It was a family affair! On April 26th I had one of my dreams realized. Susan, my wife , and my oldest daughter Katie joined me for the Country Music Marathon and half-marathon in Nashville. Susan and Katie ran the half and I waddled through the full. I started off running with Katie (she is 15) thinking she may have a bit of trouble as her training was, well, a bit lax. At the first mile marker she told me to go on and let her do it at her pace and her way. She is a very independent young thing, so I didn't argue. I never saw her the rest of the race (some parts of the course were out and back, but we never passed each other)I was feeling pretty good at the 11 mile marker where the half splits from the full, so I decided to give it a go and made it through to complete my 12th marathon. I was most proud of Katie however as she had a great race finishing the half in 2:40. A remarkable time given her training regimen. The power of youth shines through! Susan also did grand finishing in right over 2 hours along with two of her running buddies.
The Country Music Marathon is a very well run race with all the amenities of a world class affair. The crowds were great and the volunteers were numerous and helpful. I can't think of anything they could have done better! The expo was one of the best I have been to and the race organizers had everything running like a well oiled machine. One of the highlights of this race is the post race concert. It is free to all the runners and this year featured Lady Antebellum, a group boasting two of Augusta's own, David Haywood and Charles Kelley (who just won the country music association new group of the year!)It was a fabulous weekend made all the more special by sharing it with family.
Run long and be fit!

2 Comments:

Lindsay said...

I just found your website, and I have really enjoyed reading your blog! I hope one day my daughter (btw whom you delivered) will want to run with me! :)

Women's Online Wellness Blog said...

Thanks for the kind words. I hope both you and your daughter run one some day!
Ron